I love coffee. Probably even more than I love running.
I drink about a half a pot of coffee most mornings, and if I’ve got an early morning gym session, I bring my to-go mug of coffee with me.
So of course, I’ve thought about running with my coffee as well.
Obviously trying to sip a steaming cup of black coffee while running isn’t going to work so well, but I’ve come up with the next best thing!
Caffeine is a well-known performance enhancer as long as you don’t overdo it. A little goes a long way and for me, that’s not much.
I love racing with starch instead of sugary gels, but I’ve found that adding a little bit of corn syrup pumps up the glucose but does not sour my stomach. But with only one teaspoon, it’s not quite sweet enough for me in this recipe, so the liquid stevia helps with that.
Feel free to adjust according to the amount of sweetness you like!
Claire Bartholic, The Planted Runner
Get your caffeine and fuel in one place! One 8 ounce serving supplies, 153 calories, 40.1g carbohydrate, 88.3g potassium, 224mg sodium, plus small amounts of calcium, magnesium, and iron.
- 40g (about 1/4 cup) raw cornstarch or tapioca flour
- 1 tsp corn syrup (optional for extra glucose)
- 8-10 drops liquid stevia
- 1/16 tsp salt
- 1/16 tsp Morton's Lite Salt
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder
- 4-8 ounces water, depending on preferred thickness
- Mix all ingredients except water together. Dry mix needs no refrigeration and can be prepared ahead of time.
- Just before running, add water, and mix or shake in a running bottle.
- Another option is to skip the dry espresso powder and use COLD coffee as your liquid. Do not use hot coffee as it will change the properties of the starch!