Aquafaba is a miraculous ingredient. The liquid from a can of chickpeas that you normally dump down the drain can be whipped into meringues, baked into cookies, and frozen into ice cream.
What’s normally thought of a waste product is actually one of the greatest egg substitutes that’s ever been discovered and it seems that there is almost no limit to what it can do. (Well, don’t try to make an angel food cake with it, but that’s another story.)
At only 5 calories per teaspoon, with a touch of carbs and protein and almost no fat, it makes the lightest, creamiest, and impossibly delicious ice cream! And, no, it does not taste like chickpeas at all.
Each enormous serving has less than 100 calories!
Even if you are not vegan, you’ll want to try this just for the sheer magic of it. It really is that amazing.
And no ice cream maker required!
I love mangos and when they are on sale, I like to grab a big box of them. And they make perfect ice cream.
But you can substitute any fruit you like with this recipe. It really is that simple.
Just 5 ingredients (or fewer if you omit the lime and salt) and four hours in the freezer and you’ll have your own delicious treat that hits the spot after a hot summer run!
I swear, this recipe is so good, even my non-vegan husband loves it.
Yields Makes 4 HUGE servings
Light, creamy, low-fat mango ice cream with less than 100 calories per each enormous serving!
15 minPrep Time
4 hr, 15 Total Time
- 3/4 cup (180g) aquafaba, or about the amount from a standard can of unsalted chickpeas
- 1/2 cup (about 50g) powdered sugar (more or less to your taste)
- 1 cup (about 165g) sliced fresh or thawed frozen mango
- 1 teaspoon (about 5g) lime juice
- dash table salt
- Beat aquafaba on high in a stand mixer until stiff peaks form. This can take up to 12-15 minutes, so be patient!
- Meanwhile, blend the rest of the ingredients in a blender on high until liquified.
- Add mango sauce to whipped aquafaba and mix slowly until just incorporated.
- Pour into a freezer-safe container and let freeze for 4 hours or more.
- Scoop and enjoy!
Each serving has 93 calories, 23.3g of carbs, 0g fat, 0.9g protein.